If I ran the GOP in the House of Representatives right now, here's what I would do:
- Pass a simple six month extension of the debt ceiling, no strings attached, and dare Reid and Obama to reject it. Obama said that's what he wanted and then he would be willing to negotiate something for the long-term, so call him on it and end the drama over that issue. But hold Obama's feet over the fire. The day after he signs that, demand the start of negotiations, public negotiations, on a debt limit increase that will last through his term.
- Pass a six month continuing resolution to fund the federal government(and Obamacare) at FY2013 levels, including the sequester, but also include:
- Language that eliminates the administration excuses for making the sequester as painful as possible.
- Repeal of the medical device excise tax which even Harry Reid has called "stupid."
- Make Obama's one year delay of the employer mandate legal by changing the law and also give individuals the same reprieve.
- Delay the insurance coverage mandates for one year so people can actually keep the plans they have, as Obama himself promised.